Re: Rear end swap

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear end swap
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:31:38 +1030
Max Heim wrote:

> Begging the question, what is the benefit of rear disc brakes on an MGB?

Well, I can tell you why I am going rear discs, and it is a pretty sad
answer too.  It is purely because I got offered a great deal (being a
GREAT deal) on the LSD that I was after... it just happens it came on a
rear axle with disc brakes.

Even fixing the ancillary handbrake etc. rubbish still made it a GREAT
deal, so being an offer I couldn't refuse... I didn't refuse it.

I never really felt it necessary to go discs all round for the track as
I was getting similar braking performance as most of my fellow
competitors.  My MetalKing front pads and vented front discs were doing
the job fine to the point of lockup.  I reckon I might be able to
squeeze a few metres extra distance before braking but I am not counting
on a massive improvement on laptimes because of it.

But I could be wrong and only track-time will tell.

Now the limited slip diff is another story all together especially on
the circuit full of hairpin corners that I usually compete on - and
maybe the combination of the two will be a benefit.  This track is
really a hard-on-the-brakes track and maybe rear discs was what I should
have been going for but it wasn't on my Xmas shopping list.

Given the choice and an extra cost I probably wouldn't have shelled out
for rear discs - but I will report back on the results after my first
competition event on March 14th.

As far as the WOW factor is concerned - yeah, I think it will get some
of that and maybe piss off some of my fellow track mates to boot, so for
that alone it will be worth it :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII