Re: Exhaust

To: Scott Bumpus <sbumpus@shaw.ca>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:55:00 -0800 (PST)
EXHAUST:
I have the Peco exhaust with a stock manifold.  It
sounds great and has no annoying resonances, but I
don't know if it's possible to get too much power out
of an exhaust swap alone.  Maybe a couple BHP, but
it's not really noticeable.  The Peco is a
straight-through system (hold it up and you can see
straight through from one end to the other), so there
rerally isn't anything making backpressure in there,
but even so, don't expect to be blown away by a power
improvement...

HEADER:
I've been planning on maintaining the stock manifold,
because the consensus on the list was that a headers
were more trouble than they are worth.  But I recently
spoke with John Targett, who is very successful racing
an MGB in SVRA and other vintage events.  He has done
extensive dyno testing of the MGB engines in various
states of tune, and he's convinced that the right
style header is a good swap.  He said they had very
poor results with the "three into two into one" style
of header, but when they tested the style of header
that has all three primaries staying separate and
joining up at the point where it attaches to the
exhaust, they saw very significant improvements in
midrange torque and top-end power on the dyno.

So if anyone has a recommendation on where to find a
good header of this design, let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005