RE: Rear hatch Spoiler for 'B-GT?

To: "David and Kalon Randall" <superhoser@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Rear hatch Spoiler for 'B-GT?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:16:28 -0800
Shoot, that's what I call timing.  I just sold the one I had to the couple that
needed a replacement hatch.  They figured taking the spoiler too would save
them from having to fill in the holes.

The 70s were times of tack on plastic items and Special Tuning was right in
there with the program.  Aerodynamic aids were available for many of the BL
products including the Allegro, Morris Marina and the BGT.

The Special Tuning front and rear MG spoilers were sold individually but were
designed to go together on the GT to reduce drag and decrease lift.  At least
that's what the sales pitch promised.

I bought a couple of the rear spoilers from The MGA centre in Darlington,
before they became conglomeratized and installed one on my V6 powered MGB GT.
I thought it was pretty cool, especially since it had a plinth location for the
1973 style BGT flash.  The fit was pretty awful, but nothing that couldnt' be
bodged over.  Unfortunately that car never did meet expectations and I parted
it out a few years ago.

The GT Special Tuning spoiler was adapted for use on the roadster, but I doubt
if any wind tunnel testing was ever done.  The funny thing is that the Special
Tuning GT spoiler appears to be not currently available, but the Roadster one
is.

Personally, I'm glad I sold the one I had.  I'd thought about doing up my White
1973 MGB GT with the front and rear spoilers and ST badging, but was really
conflicted as the original smooth lines are so beautyful.

Sorry if this is more than you wanted to learn.

Nutshell.  The rear spoiler to fit the roadster is still available, at least in
the UK.  The GT one looks like it may be out of production.

Kelvin.