Re: Sanity Check

To: <Carscarscarz@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sanity Check
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:28:04 -0000
MGB valves do clatter compared to many other cars so some is 'normal'.  No
synchro in 1st is normal for MGBs up to late 67.  OD was always optional in
North America, I believe, but became standard on UK cars in 76 and other RHD
cars in 77.  35k on a good rebuild - assuming correct maintenance which so
many of these seem to suffer from a lack of - is barely run in.

Mechanical and electrical issues on an MGB are relatively unimportant when
compared to the body structure, and the most important part of that is
probably the sills.  By far the best pre-purchase reference I have come
across is Lyndsay Porter's 'Guide to Purchase and DIY Restoration of the
MGB', republished as 'The MGB Restoration Manual'.  This contains a
checklist of things to look for and a guide as to how costly they are to put
right, as well as *how* to put them right in most cases.

PaulH.