Re: Blasted Noisy Tappet!

To: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blasted Noisy Tappet!
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:54:31 -0000
Same here, for the past 14 years.  Another thing that bothered me was that I
could never get repeatable clearances - set them all using the Rule of Nine,
turn the engine once, check them, and some of them would be 2 or 3 thou out.
Then I realised that at the strict rule of nine point some of the gaps were
still changing, the greatest gap being slightly before or slightly after
depending on the valve.  Took the rockers off and checked for wear,
push-rods out and checked for bending, cam-followers out and checked for
wear, checked the cam lobes and bearing for obvious wear, but couldn't find
anything wrong.  Now I adjust the gaps at their greatest clearance it is
quieter, but still there.  JFDI (Just ... Drive It) :o)

PaulH.