Re: Splines

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Splines
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:44:28 EST
In a message dated 25/03/2004 12:52:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Well,  look here, Paul, the only maintenance one can pull on the
splines is to  lubricate and inspect them them at regular intervals.
Obviously, the wheel  rotates on the hub a fraction of an inch each time
it's accelerated or  decelerated - witness that the knock off nuts
tighten up - so there's wear  in the splines as a result.  The only
repair is to replace them in  sets.

I wonder how many people on the list have replaced  them as a regular
maintenance item.  Have  you?

Yup - replaced all the hubs and hub extensions on the MGC when I rebuilt  it.
Looked at a restored TR-4 for a guy the other day and the wheel could be
moved a couple of inches the splines were so thrashed - and the guy selling it
had never noticed.
Had one guy racing an MGB, lost a wheel and sailed off into the weeds, as
his wheel headed across the track into traffic.
If you are going to own a wire wheel car, maintain the damned things!
Bill
(who has Rudge wheels only on the MGC and the Lamborghini - and feels much
better when running the MGA with peg drive kock-offs that can't  strip...)