Re: not a request for the purists in the group : ) 22 Mar 04.

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: not a request for the purists in the group : ) 22 Mar 04.
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:00:20 -0600
   Call it what you will, they need replacing sometimes.  The only
question is the replacement interval.   The shop in Santa Rosa, CA, that
replaced my hub and wheel were well familiar with the problem, so it
wasn't all that rare, whatever the reason.  The first thing they told me
was that the only way to get the wheel off was to cut the wheel center
in half with a torch.  They didn't want to touch it until they were sure
they could get the parts locally.  They were also the guys who got me to
using anti-sieze compound on the splines, instead of grease.

   When I bought that '70 B in 1980, all the splines were dry and rusty.
  I'm sure that accelerated the wear.  So I guess one could say they had
been DPO'd.  Only one failed in seven years of daily driving, tho.

   The splines on My present '69 B were well lubed when I got it but
some of them are pretty worn.  As a matter of fact, it looks like I'll
have to replace at least one hub pretty soon. The wheel doesn't want to
come off the left front hub.  Found that out a bit ago whle trying to
find a rattle in the front suspension.  If it ever stops raining I'll
get Peg to hold the brake while I wiggle the wheel.  Got my shop tied up
with other projects.

   Cheers,

    CR