Re: Oil Pressure Update

To: "Thomas J Pokrefke" <pokrefke1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Update
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:12:37 -0700
Also relevant to the scheme of things is the "packing" inside the relief
valve cap. Moss shows this part as 460-165 "Packing, oil release valve".
Its essentially just a metal spacer, maybe 1/8" thick, but it presence or
absence will have an effect on the spring compression. If you are missing
that piece and/or your spring has weakened, that would account for some
lower oil pressure reading symptoms. I know this because I lost or left out
this packing piece when I assembled my engine and it did cause lower oil
pressure readings. However replacing that piece plus a new valve and oil
pressure relief spring on my new engine gave me great oil pressure on the
high end but idle pressure is still a bit low.

Keep in mind that the spring will already be compressed considerable when
it is installed. You will know what I mean when you try to install it.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B