Re: Head Studs

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Studs
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@stoolhead.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:10:18 -0500
A rule of thumb:  If they show rust or if you
know the head has been off a time or two before,
consider replacing them.  I don't push engines
too hard and I have never elevated the
compression ratio other than by minimally truing
a head.  In fact, I have never replaced a stud on
any engine I've rebuilt except for a damaged
Ferrari 308 engine where I had an interference
valve crash.  Studs are strong in daily use.  If
I were building a race engine, I would use new
studs.

Rick