Re: Head Studs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Studs
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:36:24 EST
In a message dated 31/03/2004 3:27:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

In my 28  years of professional experience, I've never had a
leak in that location on  an engine I've rebuilt. Could that be because I
replace the head studs as a  matter of course during an engine rebuild or
valve  job?

One early lesson you learn when racing MGs is that the stock studs are  crap.
There are few feelings as dire as that of torquing the last head nut at 3  AM
having rebuilt the engine all night prior to leaving for a race, only to have
 the stud 'give' a little as you approach torque spec. You KNOW it isn't good
 enough and have to remove it......
The original studs with '22' on the top are garbage. The studs supplied for
later MGB engines are much better, but a special set of high tensile studs are
 de rigeur for a race motor - and will last many seasons without  replacement.
Bill