RE: engine hoist capacity

To: "James Harwood" <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: engine hoist capacity
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:53:31 -0700
James:

This is a common problem as the MGB engine sits further back than a typical
American one.  Luckily it is much, much lighter, so you have some leeway to
make some modifications to your hoist.

I made an extension boom which fits inside the original hoist tube.  I used
thick wall rectangular tube and added about 16" to the length of the original
arm.  The engine and gearbox combination weigh a whole lot less than 1/2 ton
(1,000.00 lbs) so I'm comfy with the extension, but YMMV.  The boom allows the
hoist to easily reach the center of balance of the MGB engine and transmission
assembly in a Rubber bumper B.  The first time I used the extension I paid very
close attention looking for any kind of deflection, but saw no problem with
overloading.

Safety First, Make sure you pay attention and work safely.

Kelvin.