Starter problems in a '66 B

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter problems in a '66 B
From: "PHILIP ERIKSON" <perikson2@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:45:39 -0700
Happy Easter, everyone! Need your expertise, guys. I was driving the other day
and I parked in the green to take a few pictures of my '66 B. When I got back
in to drive home, the car wouldn't start - just one click. When I tried to
jump start it, the rear wheels locked up. After researching starter problems
on this list and other websites, the most common assessment is that the
starter pinion has "permanently meshed with the ring gear". But before I bite
that bullet, I'd like to remove the starter. Is there a way to remove it from
the bottom, or must I remove oil filter, distributer, and coil to take it out
from the top?

TIA,

Phil Erikson