Moss Motors Carpet Set Installation (Very Long)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Moss Motors Carpet Set Installation (Very Long)
From: "David Macedonia" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:01:16 -0400
Hi again, everyone.

First, a recap of some problems for which I sought your help:

1. Glove Box Installation: I was never able to get the replacement glove box
(Moss P/N 233-900) attached to my dash. Since I have so many other things to
keep me busy, I've given up on it for now.

2. Rubber Sill Cover Installation: Finally got them in! I eventually ended
up using 3M General Trim Adhesive (set the spray nozzle to "M" and make sure
that your work area is reasonably warm). I also found that a couple of 25lbs
lead shot bags (purchased from a sporting goods store) and a dozen magnets
(purchased from Home Depot) were pretty good for holding the covers down
while the glue cured. By the way, don't try doing the whole sill cover at
once. I applied the adhesive to about a 12" section at a time, and worked my
way down.

3. Heater Installation: WHAT A PAIN! Actually, at around midnight Friday, I
finally got it installed. If you recall, I was having an impossible time
getting the heater in with the thick rubber pad (Moss P/N 363-135)
installed. Success came after I trimmed the face of the pad with an X-Acto
knife and then coated it with liquid dish soap. I still had to practically
stand on the heater to get it in, but it did. Hopefully I'll never have to
work on it again.

Ok, so here's my problem du jour...

I'm installing my Moss Motors Deluxe Carpet Set (Moss P/N 242-770) that I
purchased way back in 2002 when it was on sale. Generally, I haven't been
too thrilled with it. The wheelarch pieces were very difficult to install
because they didn't conform well to the curved surface. They also needed to
be trimmed (which is very difficult to do) because they were oversized. I
got them installed, and they look ok, but I think the quality could have
been better for the price. Next I tried to install the heelboard piece. It
too was oversized and required a lot of trimming...even around the
transmission tunnel. I didn't install it yet because I thinking of bringing
it to an auto upholsterer to get it trimmed in vinyl since some of the cut
edges are visible.

Finally, my problem. For some reason, the front floor mats are backed with
thick felt, while the rear ones are not. I'm not sure if that's the way
they're supposed to be but they are. This poses a problem, because I can not
install the snaps in the front mats because it's too thick. If you're
familiar with the snaps, you know that they come it 3 pieces: 1. A thin ring
with three sharp teeth that press through the carpet from the top. 2. The
mating half of the snap that's held in place by the teeth after they've been
bent over, and 3. The mating half of the snap that is attached to the
floorpan.

So, has anyone dealt with this? Is there another version of the snap that
has longer teeth for installation in thick material?

Thanks in advance,

David Macedonia
Crofton, MD
1966 MGB