Re: lead substitute fuel additive

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lead substitute fuel additive
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
--- Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com> wrote:
> I don't see how the lead substitute can provide any
> increased performance,
> unless it is also an octane booster, and then only
> if you advance the timing
> to take advantage of that.

Several years ago, when I was working at RENNTech, we
did a lot of very careful testing of octane boosters
to see what they really do.  We did a lot of dyno runs
- using dynamically tunable engine management software
- to see if there was any significant increase in
octane.

There wasn't.

The end result, after weeks and weeks of testing, was
that 95% of all octane boosters do absolutely nothing
whatsoever to increase octane.  Timing could not be
advanced in any way, at any RPM, when running them.
The best octane booster raised octane about one point,
which allowed some incredibly tiny increases in timing
at part-throttle, but virtually nothing you would ever
detect (or be able to replicate with a distributor).

So I feel certain, unless something very very strange
is going on, that the lead substitute couldn't
possibly be increasing power.

Even if it was (purely for the sake of argument)
increasing octane significantly, if the ignition
advance wasn't tuned for the new octane rating,
performance would actually decrease, because the flame
front inside the combustion chamber would burn more
slowly and evenly, and the effect would be the same as
retarding timing somewhat.

Save yo' money!

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com