Interior restoration

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Interior restoration
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:18:46 -0500
Hello Friends,
   When I posted a note about a week ago stating that
I was about to start on the interior restoration of
my 308GTB, a number of you with MG projects asked to
hear more and to see pictures.  Thanks to the mild
weather, a free hobby day in Tulsa and Saturday off
work, I now have some progress and pictures.  Links
and comments below:

   Here is a picture of my make-shift paint booth.
I have another workbench to the left of the one
in the picture.  For this project, that is my prep
bench.  The painting of 'dye' is done against the
old sheet backdrop.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter001.jpg

   The part being refinished is a seat back closing
panel for the driver's seat.  As this part is seldom
seen by anyone but me, it became my test case.  In
this picture, the 'dye' is not yet dry so there is a
sheen.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter002.jpg

   Here's the product that George at Leatherique supplied.
The color match is perfect.  This stuff goes a loooong
way, by the way.  I have done the first coats on the
seat bottom and all coats on the back of the seat back.
I have used ONLY about 3/8" down the quart bottle!
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter003.jpg

   Touch-up paint guns are on sale at Harbor Freight right
now.  I paid $16 for this gun!  The orange thing is an
oil and water trap/filter.  It keeps contaminates out
of the paint.  Not a bad deal for four dollars.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter004.jpg

   Here's the seat back closing panel after the final coat.
I is almost dry.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter005.jpg

   Here, the seat bottom has its first few coats.  I say
'few' because the first coat is really just a dusting.
This dye is water based.  If you spray it like solvent-
based paint it will run down your part like Windex on
a window.  This is about four light coats.  The dye
here is almost fully wet.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter007.jpg

   This is the back of the seat back.  It has had its
final coats and is drying.  The sheen seen here and
in the next photo will fade totally away.  That is
because that finish is CORRECT for a '79 Ferrari
interior.  If the original leather is shinier, a
higher sheen product is supplied to match the finish
as-original from the factory.  This does not negate
custom formulations.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter008.jpg

   A close-up of the finished leather.  Please remember
that this is 25 year old leather!
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter009.jpg

   Here is the interior of the 308 with the driver's seat
removed.  The passenger seat has had no refinishing at
all.  It is as I received the car in 1997.  You will
notice that the interior is two-tone.  The seats and
door panels are blue leather while the console and dash
are black.  They will be refinished with Leatherique's
black 'dye' even though they are vinyl.  The carpets are
in great shape, just faded.  They should be black.  I plan
to try Leatherique's carpet dye on them.  Never used it
before.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter010.jpg

   Clean-up with soap and water is nice.  Its pretty
easy to hang up your gun after a quick bath.
http://www.stoolhead.com/79Ferrari/Inter010.jpg

Regards,

rick
PS: I have no connection with Leatherique other than
being a totally satisfied customer and friend of the
company owner.