Re: Vapor Lock?

To: Daybell7@aol.com, paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: Vapor Lock?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:44:54 -0700
I MAY have a solution!

Many many moons ago my father and mother were driving down from Ashington
(Northumberland in the UK) to see my wife and I in Hockley, Essex.  The car
kept stopping but would restart after a while and way they would go - but
it happened again, and again, so they called into several garages en route
but none could find a fault.  UNTIL they reached this one outside
Chelmsford where the garage owner went into ecstasy.  He had had the same
problem and had taken him weeks to find the cause.  He gleefully asked if
my Dad had had any paint work done on the car to which the reply was yes -
someone had pranged the rear.   The garage owner took my father to the back
and showed him the gas (petrol) cap as well as the paint blocking the tiny
air vent hole.  He explained that with it blocked a vacuum was formed in
the tank and when it got too high the pump could no longer pump fuel.  With
the engine stopped the air slowly wheezed back in allowing the pump to pump
once more - and the engine would  run again....until

I do hope this is your problem !!!  Tell me if it does - My late father
would have been delighted

At 11:51 AM 4/18/2004, Daybell7@aol.com wrote:
>Thanks again, Paul.  It runs fine for 30 minutes, but when I stop for a short
>while, it starts but runs poorly and will stall.  After sitting for a longer
>period, it will run fine again.  Any ideas what else I can check besides the
>vapor lock route?
>
>Steve Hughes
>Gainesville, FL

Regards