Found a 1977 MGB w/ T-Top?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Found a 1977 MGB w/ T-Top?
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:36:28 EDT
Hey gang,
My brother called to tell me that he had a 1977 MGB body with a hard top that
he want's to sell. He said that the car had a detachable Hardtop that looked
more like a "T-Top" than any original or aftermarket hardtop that I discribed
to him. So I drove over and see what he had. The MGB's body was pretty much
like he had discribed it only better! The bad part was that the Hard Top turned
out to be what looks like a home made top that had once been covered in
naugahyde but it was now just  bare sheetmetal and fibreglas with what appears
to be
Lucite for the windows, the "T-top" has 2 small side windows & 1 large rear
window, like a soft top. The Lucite is very blurry and you really can't see out
the rear window at all! It has two top panels that are removeable and a metal
strut that runs from the rear portion of the "Tee" top to the windscreen. But
I don't think I'd keep it (the "Tee" top) if I bought the car. Everything
else is there EXCEPT that the engine is in pieces and the cylinders are
exposed,
who knows how long ago the head was removed but the block is really rusty
inside and out. Plus who knows how long the engine block has been sitting there
w/o a head but the cylinders and everything inside the block is rusty. But the
body is in really good shape I only saw one minor dent between the passengers
door & the rear wheel well. The bellhousing, clutch and transmission are all
there. It's a regular 4 speed (no O/D) It has the keys to the ignition and the
doors and boot. In any case my brother says he has all the paperwork on it and
it was last registered in 1995  he want's to get rid of the car "cheap"!
Because what he really wants is to save the car from the ugly Crunch machine
the
MGB was originally headed for. Too bad it wasn't a real Hardtop instead of an
obviously homemade "Tee" top that I doubt would keep you very dry in anything
worse than a drizzle. The rear section of the top is connected to the car with
angle brackets in the rear and onto the windscreen with a really strange strut
like set-up that tighten with knurl nuts. Then it has two removeable top
panels, one for each side (Driver & passenger) that you can undo and take off
ala
"Tee" top style! But to be honest I don't think I'd drive over 50 mph with the
top panels off. Like I said it's a 1977 MGB with its original Tahiti Blue
paint, and the body is really in good condition The paint is faded out but no
real
metal damage. The car is presently in Ojai, Ca.  The car will have to be
hauled off with a trailer or dolly! First $200 gets the MGB! Has 4 Rostyle rims
and both tonneaus, but no soft top...If interested write to me off line.
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB & 1977 Jaguar XJ6-L
Central Coast British Car Club (Ca.)