Re: Steering Rack Boot Replacement

To: djc53052@msn.com
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Boot Replacement
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:54:17 -0400
Dave,
   This is not a difficult job.  You will lose most of the oil oil, but
it's ordinary 90w gear oil that you can buy anywhere. I believe the
quantity specified in 1/3 pint -- check the book for this.  It is not
necessary to remove the tie-rod ends (which can be difficult without the
right tool).  By marking the parts before you unscrew them, all can go
back to the exact same position, retaining the alignment.
    Do the job by getting the car up on jackstands, just to give access
and working room.  Spread newspapers, rags, etc underneath, then do a
good scrubdown with solvent, paint thinner, WD 40, whatever, and a wire
brush, cleaning off all dirt on the rack, the tie-rods and on everything
above this area that has attracted dirt that could fall into your work.
Cleanliness is important.
   Carefully mark the position of the locknut on each tie-rod, putting a
scratch on the nut, the tie-rod end and the tie-rod itself.  A file is
hard metal that will do this scratching.
   Loosen the locknut (1/2 turn, or three flats will suffice), then
unscrew the tie-rod from the tie-rod end. Count the turns.  Remove the
locknut from the tie-rod. Slide off the old boot, clean up any dirt that
you find on anything, slide on the new boot. Secure boot to the rack
(rack  end only).
   Put the locknut back onto the tie-rod. Thread the tie-rod back into
the tie-rod end. Turn it in the same # of turns that you counted when
disconnecting. Bring your marks back together.   Put half the oil into
the boot now, then clamp up the tie-rod end of the boot.
   Repeat on other side, adding the second half of the oil on this side.
Bob