Re: water pump 77MGB

To: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: water pump 77MGB
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:24:18 -0400
I replaced the water pump on my '78, it was one of the first mechanical
jobs I'd done, and it was pretty easy.

You take off the alternator, and the water pump's right there.  I did it in
a hour or two on a nice afternoon.  It was very simple.

Should you be driving the car?  Well, why does he think the water pump's
going?  Is it leaking?  If so, you probably don't want to drive it much, or
very far.

But yes, on a '77 or '78, it's easy to do.  Just pay attention to the
tension on the alternator belt when you take it off so that you give it
that approximate tension when you put it back on (based on how the
alternator is positioned).  But it's not a hard job at all.

- Tab