RE: Headlight switch help...

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Headlight switch help...
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:48:23 -0700
Paul:

If you don't have a continuity checker.  GET ONE, you will be using it on a
regular basis.  A cheap Volt/Ohm meter is really the way to go, both are
minimal essentials in a tool box.

Excuse me if I get a bit elemental.   The switch has three positions.  In the
first position.OFF.  none of the terminals is connected to any others.

In the second position. SIDE.  One of the terminals is connected to only one of
the other terminals.

In the third position.  HEAD.  One of the terminals is connected to all of the
other terminals.

With the 4 terminal switch, (I think) two of the terminals are always connected
together, but I may be wrong they may only connect together in the HEAD
position.  Later cars only had 3 terminals, which made things a bit easier.

The Brown wire is the hot feed.  It is connected to the terminal that connects
to one terminal in the SIDE position, and all terminals in the HEAD position.

The Green/Red wire is the side light circuit feed and connects to the terminal
which is live in the SIDE position.

The two Blue wires are the Headlamp switched feeds which connect to the two
remaining terminals.

Since there are no ground leads involved, you can play mixnmatch until you get
it right without frying anything, but the above should get you going.

Kelvin.