HOO-Ray we found a good home for the '77MGB!

To: mgs@autox.team.net;
Subject: HOO-Ray we found a good home for the '77MGB!
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:52:54 EDT
Hi,
Last week my brother called to tell me that he had been given a 1977 MGB body
that he wanted to sell. It didn't have much of the engine left. The block was
hollow (no head, no pistons, cam or crank) But the body was in what I'd rate
a very solid 8.5 to 9 point condition. No real dents or damage just some
oxidation on the otherwise great original Tahiti Blue factory paint job. One
look
under the bonnet was enough to see that somebody had really cared for the car,
until the engine went Ker-Blewie!  And so in 1997 they just parked the car and
started to dismantle the motor. For some reason after they gutted the engine
they stopped trying to fix the poor little roadster, and just let her sit,
forlorn and forgotten until my brother asked the owner if he wanted to get rid
of
it? "Take it, it's yours!" Said the owner, and we did! But, the best part is
yet to come. When David Young of Visalia happened upon the For Sale Ad I'd
sent to NAMGBR listing the car for $200.00 (to the right party, that is)
Somebody
who loves MGB's as much as you and I. He (David Young) said that although he
was into MG Midget's at present (He has 2 or 3!) He had been looking for a
nice MGB to restore. Question was would I hold the car for him until today
Saturday, April 24th, 2004. Noting that he sounded like a good adoptive parent,
said OK, I'll hold it until noon on Saturday. A couple of emails back and
forth,
one to tell he'd overcome the biggest hurdle, he'd wheedled his wife into
letting him drive the 400 or so miles to where the car was (Ojai, CA.) pick the
MGB up with his trailer AND take it home! That cinched it! "Ah, a Boyo much
like meeself!" I smiled and chuckeled happily. Here was someone who really
deserved this 1977 Abingdon Beauty!  So thats it! GHN5UH4321076 is, by now
residing
in its new quarters on Mary Ave, Visalia, CA 93292!! Ahhh, there is a sense of
satisfaction knowing that if not for certain factors the once proud little
roadster would have been either crushed or viciously picked apart piece by
piece. Hopefully sometime soon David will drive his "new" MGB back over the
hill
and the three of us can go for a little drive in celebration of its rebirth!
So,
when do get my Cecil Kimber Award?
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB & 1977 Jaguar XJ6-L