Su Carb drain?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Su Carb drain?
From: mark lennan <mlennan@crankyrobots.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:35:06 -0600
All,

Recently converted my 79B to HS4 SUs and am happy with the
results...BUT...Is it normal for SU carbs to drain their float bowl of
2/3 of their fuel after the engine has been shut
off?
After suspecting a flooding problem, I removed the float chamber tops
after I got home to observe the results, went in to have a beer...OK 2
or 3 beers...and when I came out the bowls where 2/3 empty. I can
understand some evaporation, but even drinking relatively slowly I
can't believe that 2/3 of the fuel could evaporate that quickly!
As a test I left the chamber tops off throughout the evening, and the
next morn, the fuel levels where the same.
I checked for leakage and found none on the outside... leaking into the
manifold???
...any thoughts???

Thanks,

ml