my 2 cents on selling title

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: my 2 cents on selling title
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:29:33 -0500
Ok, I have to put my 2 cents in on the title issues.  Exactly what
constitutes originality? Why do we have titles? Why should it be
considered fraud?  Why do we have inspections?  In Illinois, car
rebuilders have to have a car inspected before it is allowed back on
the road. People mistakenly think this is to check the quality of the
work. It is not, it is to look for stolen parts and cars. Is a title
alone sufficient proof of originality?  No it is not.  Is a title
intended to be proof of originality, no it is not.  We have titles for
one reason, to prove ownership. The state only cares about titles to
stop theft. Cases for originality comes from additional documentation.
Historical documents, old titles, receipts, photos, witnesses help to
support a historical case, other public documents and so on.

So titles are not to prove originality and are not accepted as such
without question.  So is it unethical to buy a title? Yes if it is for
the purpose of fraud.  But what if your beloved MG is totaled, you buy
it and rebuild it, how much has to be original? What constitutes the
original of an original car.

Is it unethical to buy a frame and title and attach a different body?
Is it unethical to buy a steering wheel and attach a new body and
frame? Some may argue one way and some may argue another way but let me
reverse the situation. If the proof of originality is not in a title,
are we buying a title or a car?  If I buy a car from my Aunt Nellie who
long ago lost the title and then she dies and we have to go to court to
get the title from the state. So instead, we buy a title, VIN plate and
steering wheel. Then what happens to the car?  Is the car no longer
original because it has no title?  No the car is original and the title
is not original to the car.  But the title is only to prove my
ownership. It doesn't matter as long as I came about everything legally
but I really wish I had that original steering wheel!

Cheers! Mike
50 MGTD, 59 MGA, 65 MGB (but my title says 66 although I think it is
original)