Re: Touring Soon

To: <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: Touring Soon
From: "Scott & Lynn Hower" <howersl@att.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:22:51 -0400
> From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
> Subject: auto polish
> Can you use the polymer based car polish (i.e. "wax") over a wax coat,
or
> does the wax need removed first? I read somewhere that Dawn
dishwashing
> detergent will strip the wax off a car.

Monte-

I'll preface my comments by saying that wax/polish is kind of like
religion - many people have one and everyone swears theirs is the best.

Dawn is very alkaline and is extremely effective at stripping wax.
You'll end up with a clean car, but no wax protection.  Exactly what you
want to prep for a polymer.

Clay is mildly abrasive to clearcoat, but used properly (i.e. with a
lubricant) and in moderation, it will not harm the clear.  If you drop
the clay on the ground, throw it out, don't even try to clean it, as
you'll just grind grit into your paint/clear.

I've probably tried every wax/polish system on the market: Klasse,
Blitz, Pinnacle, Griots, Meguiars, Norton, 3M,  - I have a whole shelf
full of the stuff.  My current favorite is Zaino.  Go here for a funny
story about a Corvette owner who found a goose mating with his/her
reflection:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57059&page=1&pp=15

--Scott