intermittent alternator

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: intermittent alternator
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:19:19 -0500
For the 4th time this month, I've been stranded and had to either tow the
car, or like tonight, have my wife rescue me with the battery out of the
other MG.
It's getting real frustrating:-(.
The original alternator went kaput a month ago. Put in the one from the
parts car. It didn't charge. Got a new one from O'Reilly's. It didn't
charge. Got another one from O'Reilly's (they tested this one before I
brought it home and it was putting out the correct current at the store) and
it would put out 12.8-13.2 volts. Checked it again a few days ago and it was
now putting out 14.2 volts. Drove it 60 miles during the day. Came home at
night with lights on and the car died after 40 minutes. Got it restarted
(without lights) and tested output on brown wire at fusebox, 11.8 volts.
Wife brought another battery. Drove 30 minutes home and rechecked alternator
output-14.2 volts. The previously dead battery tested 11.8 volts.
The belt is tight. The alternator is constantly turning. The alternator
light is working at start up and came on when the car died the first time.
The tach was still working properly even when the car was starting to
sputter before it died.
Ideas, oh sage ones?
Thanks,
Monte