Re: intermittent alternator

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: intermittent alternator
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:28:42 +0100
Beginning to sound like an intermittent connection between the alternator
and the solenoid.  If you check the voltage at the fusebox and see 11.8v or
then check on the brown at the alternator as well.  If this shows 14.2v then
it *is* connections.  I have had a problem on mine whereby the three lugs on
the starter solenoid started insulating from each other even though they
were bolted up tight.  Take them off, clean them up bright with emery, and
reassemble with copper grease.

12.8 to 13.2v is still too low, it should be putting out 14v at its maximum
current (typically 34 amps) and normally it should be about 14.5v.  When you
see 14.2v at the fusebox check the brown at the alternator, you may well see
14.5v here and the difference between them is volt-drop in the brown
circuit.  Some is inevitable, and yours is within limits.

However if you see 11.8v on the brown at the alternator as well then it
isn't charging, but four faulty alternators from three different sources in
quick succession takes some believing.  The warning light seems to be
working OK which means it must be connected to the correct terminal on the
alt and is doing its job.  However if you see 11.8v at the fusebox and
alternator rev the engine to at least 3500rpm and see if that changes
anything.  If it does then it looks like yet another internal problem in the
alt.

PaulH.