73 "B" Electrical Issues

To: "'MG Discussion'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 73 "B" Electrical Issues
From: "TJ Tryon, Jr." <tjt@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 20:27:02 -0500
I have an issue that hopefully one of the guru's can diagnose.  The symptoms
are so specific that it may be something easy, or someone else may have seen
the same thing.  Last night, I went over a little rise and fall in the road,
and it just quit running.  It was not something that even the shocks had to
deal hard with.  Here's the symptoms (73 "B"):

1.  Car won't run.  Seems like it's not getting spark.  Points/Timing are
good.  Coil wires are secure.  All fuses good.

2.  Lost rear lights.  When I turn on the lights, nothing out back
(headlights fine, no front running lights either).  When I hit the brakes,
the brake light comes on.  When I turn on the turn signal, they light up,
both front and back, just don't blink at all.  No side marker lights are
working (bulbs fine).

Fuel pump is still working.

I do believe I lost a ground somewhere, or alternatly, lost part of the rear
half of the wiring harness.  Nothing looks fried.  I've double checked
everything under the hood (connectors, fuses, etc), and have been pouring
over the wiring harness diagram in the haynes manual.

Thank you so much for any assist you can give, or for a better place to
start...

Regards,
TJ