Crank Timing Gear Problem

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crank Timing Gear Problem
From: Chris Attias <cattias@ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:33:46 -0700
I've been slowly reassembling my 3-main engine, and had a question
about the proper tolerances/installation method of the crank timing
gear.

Since I'm using a reground not-quite-stock Elgin cam, I thought I'd
get an adjustable gear set.  Got the indexed Australian-made set from
Moss (too cheap to buy the Kent vernier gear set.)

In assembling it, the gear took a lot of force (blows with a copper
hammer) to drive it onto the end of the crank (and pull off with a
3-arm puller.)  FWIW, the crank has been nitrided, and I smoothed off
the end of the shaft with fine wet/dry paper and oiled it prior to
installation.

I'm wondering how much force this should take.  Do I have a problem
with part tolerances?  Has anyone else tried this gear set?   I could
probably heat the gear up prior to installation, but removal would
still be problematic.

Thanks,

Chris
--