backfiring

To: <DEVierling@aol.com>, <mgbnutt@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: backfiring
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:34:00 -0400
As you may remember, I removed my 1978 MGB's distributor recently and
after putting it back in - I couldn't get the car to start.  It turned
out to be faulty wiring (i.e, my fault!) between the amplifier module
and the Piranha electronic ignition pickup.

Well, I finally have the car running again and re-timed, but now I
still have an occasional backfiring problem (backfiring through the
carburetor) combined with a hesitation upon acceleration in 2nd gear.
The car starts and idles fine, acceleration in 1st seems fine, and
steady driving in 3rd seems OK (steady driving @ about 30-35 miles an
hour).  Just this subtle hesitation and occasional backfire in 2nd under
"hard" acceleration.  I haven't really had the car back up over 40 mph
yet...I've just been driving around the local streets.

Any suggestions where to start?  I replaced the stock Zenith-Stromberg
carb with one of those single SU HIF44 upgrades from Moss.  Do I have
the mixture set wrong?  Do I need to change the needle?  Perhaps this is
still an ignition problem?  I was thinking of putting a Pertronix unit
in, just to rule that out.  Any advice or suggestions greatly
appreciated!

Donny V
1978 MGB