Re: Wire Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:36:37 EDT
In a message dated 12/05/2004 3:57:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Another  interesting note on wire wheels is that since they flex, there
is less  shock to the transmission system.  I reached this conclusion
when  looking through piles of MGB tube axle assemblies and found all  the
remaining steel wheels ones were badly worn, yet there were lots of  good
condition wire wheel ones.

*************************************
Which is why we ran an Austin Healey 100 with a 327 Chev on the original
wires - if we'd had any real 'sticktion' it would have ripped the diff and
suspension up. That thing could lay rubber for a block.
These days, with sticky street rubber and rear engined cars, when you drop
the clutch you get a little squeal, but the car just hits warp 1 right now
without drama. In many ways our old British stuff was more fun to  watch.....
The wires were horrid to race on. Anyone that still has them on their car,
try this. Find the longest straight and when you hit the braking markers, nail
the brakes they way you always do,but keep your hands held a little off the
steering wheel. The wire wheel car will dance all over the place, often
veering  to one side or the other, requiring steering correction. Steel wheel
cars
are  more stable, and alloy wheel cars should go straight in with little or no
correction needed, barring any lateral braking inequalities.
Steel and alloy wheels are the brunettes of the world - they may not look  as
flashy, but  they get the job done. Wire wheels are the blondes of  autodom -
look great but often inadequate for doing much else (and lest you  castigate
me for chauvenism, please note that I specified no sex).
Bill