mgb overdrive

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: mgb overdrive
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:21:27 -0500
Friends, I need some advice on my overdrive.
I have a 65 mgb with overdrive.  On the bottom of the unit is a drain,
non-return valve plug, and relief valve.  Here is the deal....
-The solenoid clicks when power is applied.
-I managed to get the relief valve plug off and pulled the small piston
out with needle nose pliers.  It is very clean.
-I cannot get the non-return plug off.
-I drained the unit, took the side off and cleaned the magnets off and
the screen. There was quite a bit of gunk in the bottom of the case and
-collected around the magnets. It was obvious the oil had been changed.
  I thought the oil smelled like hypoid but I put 20-50 in it as per the
recommendations.

What should I do?
Is it possible to get the cover off and check the solenoid lever
alignment without pulling the transmission?
How can I get the non-return plug off?
What do I look for if I can get it off other than dirt?

Thanks, Mike