Re: MGB Slave cylinder - HELP.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Slave cylinder - HELP.
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:31:29 -0500
     Are you getting any motion at the throwout arm during the bleed
process?  More below.

     CR

Paul M. wrote:
  > Man, I screwed something up and I can't for the life
  > of me figure out what I did...
  >

  > Some notes:
  >
  > 1)  When the slave arrived, I noticed that the bleed
  > nipple was in the wrong hole when compared to my old
  > one.  So I removed the nipple and put it in the other
  > hole so it would look exactly like the old slave.  I
  > assume that was the right thing to do?

     Yes.

  > 2)  The actuating rod that goes into the slave
  > cylinder just kind of pushes into that rubber seal,
  > right?  I assume there is just some kind of dished
  > piston in there or something, so I just slid the rod
  > into that rubber grommet thingy.  Is there more to it
  > than that?

    You should have pushed it all the way in so as to bottom
   the plunger and expel most of the air.

  > 3)  The system seems to bleed fine - my wife is
  > pushing the pedal and from underneath, it looks like
  > it's bleeding normally.  But she can't really tell me
  > whether or not it has a pedal at that point, because
  > she's a lifelong auto-trans driver and doesn't really
  > know what a good pedal feels like...

     Surely she can feel if there's more resistance after
   bleeding.

  > 4)  Clutch fluid appears to be leaking out of
  > somewhere SLOWLY.  It will drain the master overnight,
  > but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from,
  > because it's a pretty slow leak.  It could be the
  > bleed nipple (even though it's locked down tight) or
  > could be the hose, which I didn't change.

     Can't help you there.  Except I'd have changed the
hose too.