Re: Use of ATF in place of Dashpot oil in Z-S carb.

To: Aeseeyou@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Use of ATF in place of Dashpot oil in Z-S carb.
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:31:18 -0600
Whether ZS or SUs, I have heard people use ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil (I think
that is what it is called), mineral oil, and just regular motor oils. I
used to use a light mineral oil for many years but after I bought my 67
BGT, I  found the damper kept coming unscrewed after 10-20 miles, no matter
how tight I tightened it. After replacing the damper and even the dashpot,
I still had the problem but going to regular motor oil fixed it. I believe
the actual recommendation is to use the same grade motor oil that the
engine is using, probably meaning 20-50 or 10-40.

Still, the bottom line is that the fancy dashpot oil is a waste of money,
as you can see.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B