Re: fuel starvation

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: fuel starvation
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:51:43 -0500
Paul Hunt wrote:
> First, as others have suggested, check that the pump delivers at least 1
> Imperial pint per minute at the carbs, which is waaaay more than even a V8
> needs.

I did this first. And yes, it's delivering at least 20 oz in a minute.
I didn't think it was this. But it gave me plenty of gas to mow the lawn
  on Monday or Tuesday, whenever it dries out. :-)

> Then go through the ignition system checking plug gap, points dwell/gap, and
> timing including centrifugal and vacuum advances.

Yep, all of these check out. The plugs are good color, but I'm thinking
it's time to replace these anyway, as they are 3 years old now.

No points, this is a '77, and it has a pertronix conversion by a PO.
Timing was right on at 13BTDC. I could see it change when I reconnected
the vaccuum, and it moves well anti-clockwise when increasing revs. Just
like Haynes says.

> Then check the air and mixture balance and strength i.e. set up the carbs
> from scratch.  Leaking from the overflow usually indicates float valve
> problems, unless the float is punctured and half full of fuel.  But after a
> long layup things could be sticky, and any fiddling, or just driving it for
> a bit, could clear that.

Did have time today to do this. That will be next. But just a couple
weeks ago, I checked them with my Color Tune (first try at it, I think
I was pretty much on without it, by just following Lawrie's video, so
I guess I wasted a bit of money on eBay for that tool).

Oh, I did find that the throttle and choke return springs were broken. I
went to the local auto parts store and got something similar, marked
Ford carb. return springs. I'll order up proper springs here soon. I
can't imagine this would have had any effect.

Rainy dreary day today, the B stayed in.

Thanks, Paul. I'll continue down the path.

Paul.