What oil level is right?

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What oil level is right?
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 18:47:36 +0200
Hi list,

As I only drive the BGT occaisionally, I lately have been surprised with the
happening, that the oil level was much higher than I expected.
Cooling liquid is not disappearing and all works well - oil pressure 70 @
cold - 60 hot.
Enige temp o.k., although at low revs the engine gets a bit hotter now, so I
keep a bit longer the lower gears selected.
I always check the engine oil level before every (longer) drive.
Now I think it happens, that oil flows back to the engine from the oil
cooler, when the car sits in the garage for over a week.
This of course influences the oil level measured when checking the dipstick.

1 Am I on the right track?
2 How should I check the oil level correctly, so I am sure there are not any
funny oil streaming from the oil cooler and causing misreading of the
dipstick.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Hans for sunny Holland (25 deg C) - great touring time - lots of LBC's
around

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Hans Duinhoven
Anne Frankstraat 22