Midget 1500 ignition timing

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget 1500 ignition timing
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:51:38 -0500
Hello Troopers,
I have a '76 Midget with the 1500cc engine.  This
car has [now] has the 45D4 distributor and 'should'
be USA (non-California) spec.  Any of you now the
profile of the vacuum advance module?  In '76 was
it really an 'advance' module?  That is the way
it is oriented on the dictributor.

The vacuum port on the DGV carb is set up like the
older SUs.  That is, the throttle plate covers
the vacuum opening in the throat until the
throttle is lifted off of it's rest.  At that time
the vacuum rises inversly proportional to the
throttle opening while accelerating.

Where am I going with this?  I need is to design
the 'best' static or low engine speed timing for
general street use.  The manuals vary between 10
degrees BTDC to 2 degrees ATDC.  These numbers
represent both emissions-related settings AND the
way the vacuum is ported to the distributor.

I'd like to hear your opinions please.

Rick
'76 Midget, not quite as delivered...