Re: Midget 1500 ignition timing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 ignition timing
From: Dale M Osterndorf <osternd@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:40:50 -0400
I actually had that happen to my '78 MGB many years ago.  To make a long
story not quite as long, the wiring insulation on the starter wiring had
gotten brittle and broken.  Somehow, the solenoid and battery wire
crossed causing the starter to engage.  The car took a left turn across
the street, drove up my neighbors hill and ran over their prized Japanese
cherry tree.  I found the car propped up on the tree and it was evident
where the tires had turned several revolutions before stopping.  Not sure
to this day how all that happened, but as I was sheepishly removing the
car from the yard, the starter engaged several times as the wires again
crossed.  Fortunately the neighbors were all good friends, and no
lawsuits came about from it.  I can only imagine the surprise of anyone
walking down the road (or driving), to see the car drive off on its own!
I started calling the car Christine after that . . .  The good thing, had
it gone right instead of left, it would have mowed down my other
neighbor's prized azaleas and probably hit their car.

I sold the car to a neighbor (different city) several years ago and he
proceeded to total it 2 months later.  Somewhere in all of this is a
lesson . . .

Dale O
'72 MGB (Not Christine)
'73 Lotus Europa