Re: My own intermittent overdrive solved

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My own intermittent overdrive solved
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:31:31 EDT
I stayed out of the recent discussion of an intermittent overdrive 'cause I
was in the middle of trying to solve my own problem and had nothing useful to
add.  It started on my way up to The Rocks last September, and at first I
thought it was a bad transmission switch, since it would work if I held
pressure on
the shifter.  It seemed as if I needed to adjust the position of the switch.
Then it started to go on and off in a way that seemed connected the car
warming up, OD working when the car got hot, then stopping again after a while,
making me think there was a clogged filter or crap in the oil or oil too heavy,
etc.
After replacing the tranny oil, cleaning the screen, renewing the o-rings and
replacing the solenoid, the OD didn't work at all.  Go back under to inspect
closely and I found that the top wire on the gear cut-out switch was
disconnected, and that probably was the trouble all along, explaining the OD
coming
back on when I held pressure on the shifter.
However, on my first run nothing happened.  I came back, checked and
re-seated the bullet connectors under the dash and in the engine compartment
and they
seemed fine.  I was stumped, and gave up for a while.  Little while later, I
go out for some wine, hit the OD out of habit and it engaged smoothly, and has
worked since without hesitation.
Now that the OD is fixed I am expecting a new failure to hit any day now.
Ah, the joys of LBC ownership.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang