RE: Crank Shaft Pulley, Clutch plumbing, Engine Paint

To: "Jason Spaeth" <jasonspaeth@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Crank Shaft Pulley, Clutch plumbing, Engine Paint
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:38:50 -0700
Jason:

1.  The external deterioration of the damper pulley rubber is normal.
The critical issue is that the bond between the rubber and the inner and
outer pulley parts has not failed.  The rubber isolates vibration and
when it fails the outer ring slips with respect to the inner.  When this
happens the timing mark on the outer ring is no longer correct.  This is
easy to check by pulling a #1 spark plug and making sure that when #1
piston is at the top of the bore, the timing mark on the outer ring
lines up with the saw tooth shaped indicator.

There are two different damper pulleys, so occasionally you run into an
engine that has had a pulley replaced with the wrong one, which will
have the timing mark approx. 180 degrees out.

2.  Silicone works fine in the clutch system.  When using it in the
brakes make absolutely sure that the original system is very well
flushed as any moisture and dirt will tend to collect in the brake
master and can cause problems.  Keep an eye on the reservoirs for any
indication of dirt and flush the system again if there is any question.

There is a lot of controversy over the use of silicone, but you have
indicated one of the absolute positives for it's use.  I've had no
problems using silicon in the 68-76 brake system, but if you are in a
high moisture area make sure the fluid is flushed at least once a year.

3.  Normally I prime the engine block before painting, but I wouldn't
recommend that you strip the paint off the engine just because you
didn't prime.  The paint should stick pretty well no matter what, and
hopefully you are not planning on trying to shave in the reflection from
the finish.

If you ever get a chance to see an original MGB black engine paint job,
you will be surprised at how badly the factory paint job was.

All the best

Kelvin.