Re: Stubborn Camshaft

To: <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Stubborn Camshaft
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:16:21 -0700
Hi, Larry,

If all eight lifters are out of the block, the oil pump and the distributor
drive spindles have been removed and the camshaft locating plate is off,
there is nothing else in the block to keep the cam from coming out. The only
thing I can surmise is that one of the bearings (or bearing journals on the
cam) is worn and hanging up. At this point, I'd refit the cam gear to the
cam and use two pry bars under it to lever it forwards and out.

Obviously, the cam needs to be replaced, because of the two worn lobes. I'd
strongly suggest a Delta KB grind as this will give your engine more power
in the mid-range with no loss of flexibility or idle quality. (We have these
cams for $95, exchange). As to why those front lifters were worn and stuck,
we have found that late Bs with catalytic converters often have this
problem, especially if the car has been running rich which causes the cat to
get red hot. When the engine is shut off, the heat of the cat radiates into
the block, baking the oil off the camshaft, causing a dry start next time
the engine is fired up, with consequent wear on the cam and lifters. You'll
need to replace all the lifters and make sure they move freely in their
guides - using emery paper or an appropriately-sized hone to smooth out the
lifter holes in the block if necessary. Plenty of assembly lube on the new
lifters and cam lobes goes without saying, as does running the engine at
1500 rpm for 15 minutes or so on first start-up to bed the new cam and
lifters in.

Good luck!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center