Re: Weekend wrenching (And new Tires)

To: Rick Lindsay <rick@stoolhead.com>
Subject: Re: Weekend wrenching (And new Tires)
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:35:21 -0500
Saturday morning! That sounds like a weeks worth of stuff for
me. If I'm left alone, which I'm not.

Oh, I don't think anyone responded to you before. I'm pretty sure
that the Valve cover came black from the factory. Many people ignore
that and paint the engine red. My engine is red, I think it's the black
paint worn off, and this is just dull primer. The valve cover is black.
I think it looks pretty good that way. Of course, that's the B not the
Midget. But I bet the color was the same.

I've given up on garage time on weekends. There is always something
we're up to.

So that means late night.

The last two nights, I replaced the vapor line from the charcoal
canister to the trunk. It was really well clogged. The first night
I removed the old one. That went pretty smooth. Maybe an hour.

Last night, I got out a little after 8, and came in at 11:30. My pipe
bending skills leave a bit to be desired, but it's in and it's
apparently working. As today, I drove in fine, and I'd put my real
gas cap (closed system) on. The old one was definitely clogged.
I also tighten up the hand brake, not sure if it did much good, it
looked pretty well at the end already.

Soon (not tonight, I deserve a night off), I need to replace a
core plug, and I need to replace the tappet cover gaskets.

I know a year or two ago, there were some good descriptions on the
tappet cover gasket job. I seem to remember Rocky having a good
step by step. Anybody have that, or maybe I can search the archives.

I bought both the cord and the rubber gaskets, because when I was
ordering I didn't remember which ones people say work. I still don't,
but Rocky's description, I'm sure, says which to use. After that, a
good cleaning.

Then, I think/hope, I can concentrate on working on the body.

Paul.

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB