Re: Original Tires (1980)

To: <ptroot@iaces.com>, <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Original Tires (1980)
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:53:01 -0400
I don't know exactly who was asking what - but here's my 2 cents:  The
165R14 metric size calculates out to be an 83 series profile when you
use one of those on-line calculators to find equivalent circumference
for +0, +1, +2, etc sizes.

I think I read somewhere that 80 series was approximately what profile
the 155, 165, and 175R14 metric sizes come out to be.  (80 is a ratio -
expressed as a percentage - between the height and the width of the tire
carcass, isn't it?  There must be a maximum ratio that is reached...)

All I know is that I figured out that 185-70R/14 tires are almost the
same circumference as the 165R14's that were on my car.  Watch out for
old tires!!!  They can look fine, but still be on the verge of tread
separation.  Someone (Hans?) recently suggested replacing tires when
they were 6-8 years old.  (Which means my motorcylces are WAY
OVERDUE...)

Anyway, check Barney Gaylord's site (MGAguru.com). I believe there is a
tire tech article describint tire sizes and profiles.

"Safety Fast!"
Donny V
78 MGB

>>> Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com> 6/25/2004 3:09:38 PM >>>

I didn't think so. I assume you are answering for my tires
and Gene's.