Re: Another question.... Thermostat housing.

To: "Bill Miller" <millerb@intergate.com>, "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another question.... Thermostat housing.
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:06:24 -0500
At 04:33 PM 6/26/04 -0500, Bill Miller wrote:
>What do youse guys use to seal the thermostat housing studs to the block? ....

Thread sealant, available at any auto parts store.  It usually comes in a
small squeeze tube.  It could be dark gray stuff or white teflon
base.  This is a little thinner that common pipe dope so it works well in
straight threads with minimal clearance.  Also temperature resistant and
non-drying I think.

>Did I miss any other studs that need to be sealed?

Anywhere you find a thread going through into the water jacket or interior
of the block.  Two of the three thermostat studs (but it doesn't hurt to do
all three), and at least a couple of the water pump bolts on 3 main bearing
blocks (not sure about others),  Also four of the six manifold studs go
through into the head bolt holes, so they can weep oil onto the hot exhaust
manifold if not sealed.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com