Cylinder head.

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cylinder head.
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@intergate.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:48:02 -0500
The change out is finally complete and I am happy with the new head.  It
does run a little hotter on the temperature gauge, but that may be the new
t'stat - not the smaller coolant holes in the head.

So if anyone would like the old head they can have it free - either pick it
up in the Indy area or pay for the UPS.  The only reason I am offering it is
because I was told it was the "good head" to have, and there is less than
2000 miles (That I put on it) on it since the PO of my 'B got ripped off for
it.  It is for a 72-74.5 18V.  The casting number is 12H 2923.   It has the
larger valves.  Here is what is wrong with it.  It has a small crack from
the water jacket to the outside of the head near the #2 spark plug.  It
weeps coolant out this crack.  No other cracks that I am aware of - no
coolant in the oil/oil in the water.  I broke off two of the t'stat housing
studs trying to get them out for the new head.  The other big problem (to
me) was this head has been shaved.  I think it has been shaved way too much,
to the point you must use premium gas and/or octane booster.  Too expensive
to me as a daily driver.  Rocky said you can deshroud the valves and thus
open the combustion chamber and lower the compression.  It is not warped.
The valves are good, having low miles since rebuild.   So if you know a good
machine shop who can weld up the crack and deshroud the valves, you can have
it.  I was going to have it rebuilt and put it on the shelf, but I already
have way too many spitfire, sprite, and midget parts on the shelf for use
"someday"

If no one on this list wants it, I am going to pull the valves, put them on
the shelf, and scrap the head.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions and helped me about this
engine/head.  I appreciate it.  This has been my first experience with these
1800 engines.

-Bill
And his now running again '78B (with the correct head)