Re: O/D Re-assemble

To: "McLaren, Doug" <doug.mclaren@electricalsafety.on.ca>,
Subject: Re: O/D Re-assemble
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:51:53 -0700
Doug,

This may be too late, but here are the "tricks of the trade" that make this
task easier.........(note, I didn't say easy, just easier"!)

First, it is necessary to compress the pump so that its roller will get into
position on the cam. The cam, by the way, should be positioned so that its
thinnest part is in line with the roller of the pump. Take a piece of wire
(we use safety wire which is strong, flexible and thin), wrap one end around
one of the studs near the pump, lead it over the backside of the pump roller
and then down to another one of the studs, pulling it tight so as to hold
the pump in its compressed position.

Next, with your flashlight, look down inside the o/d unit and you will see
the splines are, in fact two rows of splines, one behind the other. With a
long, thin-bladed screwdriver, rotate the further set of splines
counter-clockwise until they line up perfectly with the set nearest to you.
Then put the gearbox into gear so that the mainshaft cannot turn.

Now look at the relative positions of the splines on the mainshaft and in
the o/d unit and line up the male/female orientation so that you can start
the shaft into the splines with a minimum of jiggling. (Any jiggling is
likely to move the first set of splines relative to the second set, leaving
you with that last half inch or so that just won't line up.)

If you are very careful, and lucky, two or three goes at this will get
everything lined up to where the o/d unit slips on all the way. At this
point, cut the wire holding the pump compressed near one of the studs you
attached it to and pull it out from the other end. Be careful not to lose
the wire inside the o/d or you'll have to repeat the process.