Re: Electronic ignition.....a good thing...or bad ?

To: MGALUVR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition.....a good thing...or bad ?
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:58:21 -0600
It depends on what you mean by electronic ignition.  If you mean using a
pertronix unit to sense the firing through the rotor - it is typically a
good thing, but won't cure ills that befall a standard distributor -
i.e. if the shaft is worn and wobbly, electronics won't cure that.  If
you mean a crank sensor and a set of coils, that is generally a good
thing too, but pretty expensive, and a lot more work to fit.  These also
have to be checked for their ability to replicate or improve on the
ignition advance curve (usually they can, sometimes they can't).

Phil Bates