Re: MGB dashboard removal - help

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB dashboard removal - help
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:43:04 -0600
I got mine off - I think I pulled the dash out partway first to get access
to some ares but -
1. Choke knob - the choke assembly enter from the front so on the backside
of the dash is a large nut (11/16"?) that is loosened and then the choke
pulls out the front.
2. Dash light rheostat - a paperclip or similar device is inserted in a
hole on the knob so the knob pulls out and off, then a nut can be removed
and remainder of the rheostat pulled out the back. Heater control knobs are
the same way but you will need a 5/8" deep socket to access a nut drom the
front then the assembly come out from the back of the dash.
3. The tach is similar to the speedo - two nuts are loosened to free up
clips and then the tach pulls out. Much easier than the speedometer because
there is a bit more maneuvering room for your hand to go up and loosen the
round nuts. Plus you can use a light and see from below how to get to it.

Removing the dash is a bit tricky as there are maybe four or five screws on
the lower side but the top connects to the car with maybe 10 of these 3/8"
sized nuts then you have to pull just right, I think its in a somewhat up
and out fashion. Not really as bad as it seems once you figure out how it
all works.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B