Re: MGB dashboard removal - more help

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB dashboard removal - more help
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:04:51 -0600
Paul,

The heater control knobs are "no longer available" so you may want to try a
few things first in order to save it. For one, possibly try some PB Blaster
or similar in a light dose in the hole to insure it is depressing all the
way. And then maybe try some gentle prying on opposite sides with the
button pushed in.

The oil pressure gauge is rather odd compared to the other gauges. The
surround trim is not part of the gauge itself and is separately clipped on
the dash. The gauge slides on to two small bolts that are part of the dash
and held with nuts, 1/4" I think. You would probably want to remove the
gauge after the dash is off or pulled back. Besides, a 71 is electrical so
detach the wires and remove it later. The same also applies to the turn
signal indicators. The lights will pull out of the indicators quite easy.
But the indicators are the arrows attached to small plastic tubes. These in
turn are held to the dash with a rather interesting clip which will be a
real pain to remove. At least mine were and that was after the dash was
removed. I used two small screw drivers to gently pry them off.

A lot of the stuff should be removed after the dash is removed. And
alternately, attach as much as possible before the dash is put back on
because once its on, a lot of the stuff (like the choke cable) will be hard
to reach. Also - my one big mistake was not cleaning and checking all the
rocker switches, the fan one in particular. It does not seem to be working
now that the dash is installed and getting it out now is going to be very
difficult. Something I'll do in a few months.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B