RE: Impressions, was: Value: Midget vs. B

To: "'Rick Lindsay'" <rick@stoolhead.com>,
Subject: RE: Impressions, was: Value: Midget vs. B
From: "Randy Trautman" <trautman@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:38:15 -0700
I have several MGB's and a GT and just brought home a '71 Midget about
three months ago.  It was a cutie that I just couldn't resist at the
price being asked.

I'm 6'.  To be comfortable, you can be tall, but not too wide.  You
don't really get into the car, you sort of put it on then wear it.  It
does require a certain amount of flexibility and creativeness to enter.
Once in the car it fits well and is reasonably comfortable even for long
days.  The dash and steering wheel do seem to sit in your lap.  After
driving it for a week, setting in the MGB seems like you've climbed into
a large Buick.  I find the MGB to be very comfortable.

The Midget is a riot to drive.  A street legal go kart.  You find
yourself driving like a maniac because it is so much fun.  The engine is
a joy.  It revs freely and has nice torque for a small engine.  It
sounds good too.

It's different to maintain than a B.  But, things are similar enough
that it doesn't take long to adjust, especially with the Internet to
help out.  Parts are as easy to find as a B.  All in all, the Midget is
just like a B, only completely different.

I don't understand the value discrepancy between B's and Midgets.  At
the last Portland Field Meet, there must have been 80+ MGBs and maybe 5
Midgets.  Only a couple of those were really nice.  I know they were
less expensive and perhaps less popular, but they are nice, fun cars and
nice ones are getting scarce.

Randy

www.thisoldmg.com