Re: Wanted: 41599 Distributor

To: "Frank Krajewski" <frankk@intap.net>, <Emjaxfl@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Wanted: 41599 Distributor
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:16:25 +0100
41698 isn't in my list of distributors for the MGB, that for the North
American except California 76 to 80 model years was a 45DE4 41693 (is that
what yours could be and not a 41698?) and for California and Japan a 41695.
The 41599 has a dynamic timing of 13 degrees at 1500 and the 41693 10 at
1500, but thereafter they get closer together through the rev range.  In
practice the curves probably bear little relation to what is ideal today
with our very different fuels and 30 years of wear and replacement
components, short of a long time on a rolling road the best setting one can
expect is maximum advance without pinking at any combination of revs,
throttle opening or load.  However the 45DE4 had such a terrible reputation
for reliability I'm surprised there are any still around, many having been
replaced under guarantee by the later factory 45DM4 unit with remote
amplifier, and one may not last very long if brought back into service.

It is amazing how many times a supplier will assure a prospective purchaser
that what ever they have in stock is "correct for your car, sir".  The 41427
was a generic replacement for the earliest high compression 18G engines from
63 to 70, i.e. significantly different from a late low compression engine
and with only half the required maximum advance as Eric found out.  It isn't
even a good match for the 18G engines.

PaulH.